Knockanore Cheese, Leek & Smoked Ham Bake
Ingredients (serves four):
- 4 medium leeks, trimmed and washed
- 4 large slices of smoked ham
- 85g/3oz butter
- 55g/2oz plain flour
- 600ml/1pt milk
- 115g/4oz Knockanore Cheese, finely grated
- A little extra grated cheese for the topping
- 5ml/1tsp strong Irish Mustard
- 2 tbsp. chopped parsley
- Lightly poach the leeks until tender.
- Remove the leeks from the pan, reserve the liquid.
- Cut each leek and slice of ham into two pieces.
- Wrap each piece of leek with ham and place in an oven proof dish.
- Meanwhile make the cheese sauce.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan, stir in the flour and cook for two minutes.
- Gradually add the milk, stirring continuously, add 100ml/3.5fl oz. of the reserved leek liquid.
- Cook for a further 5 minutes, then add the cheese, the mustard and half the parsley, stir and remove from heat.
- Spoon the sauce over the leeks and ham and sprinkle with a little extra grated cheese.
- Cook at 200c/400f/gas mark 6 for 15 minutes. Serve with a sprinkling of chopped parsley.